Tuesday, May 23, 2006
And the rain came down
Well, it has been a very long tiring day. We came into the shop today to find the back room flooded. Sound familiar Carol? VBG. It was a freak thing that happened. Apparently, during the bad storm last night, a ton of slushy snow/ice fell and it happened so fast that the drainpipe from the roof filled with ice and blocked, causing the water to flow “upwards” up the roof and into the ceiling. Luckily, not a lot of stock was damaged as this only happened out where we have the classes not in the front rooms where most of the stock is kept. Some fabric got wet, but not enough to get upset about. The most distressing thing for me was that my SB stocking looked ruined as it was on the cutting table waiting for me to tack it all together and sew it into a stocking and got saturated. The WDW perle ran all over it. I was gutted. I took it home and soaked it for the day. Then tonight I rubbed some stain remover into the bad parts and gave it a run through the washing machine and it seems to have gotten most of it now. There is still a little that has bled near the heart so I think what I might do is make the heart a little bit bigger. I am really relieved.

To make matters worse, Jan, our landlord is overseas in Norway for 6 weeks. She just arrived there this morning. She told us to contact her granddaughter in her absence if anything went wrong. Her poor granddaughter was a bit lost when she came around to see the damage but contacted her grandmothers insurance company and got the ball rolling. The assessor should arrive tomorrow to review the damage and then we can start getting things fixed, eg, carpets cleaned, electrical wiring fixed etc. We did get the fire alarm re-wired today as that had to be done for our insurance. Jan phoned us from Norway tonight to let us know that everything was being done as quickly as possible and said not to hesitate to get things fixed in her absence, after we get the go ahead from her insurer tomorrow. It was nice to get the call. All in all, it could have been a lot worse. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. VBG. Thanks for letting me vent:)
posted by Karen's Blog @ 7:38 pm  
12 Comments:
  • At 8:35 pm, Blogger Kitty Couture said…

    Oh no! That's really not lucky. Hope it all gets sorted out very soon.

    Sorry about your SB stocking... It was so gorgeous :( I do hope it'll still look good!

     
  • At 12:00 am, Blogger Carol said…

    Hi Karen, Oh my gosh, I knew about this from your email last night, but still.... yikes! Yes, it sure does sound familiar... except, I am so grateful that your landlord is working with you! Mine is not, and is upset with Mike for bringing up his interest in calling the insurance company... I am so glad your stocking looks better! I surfed the net last night, but found no answers :-( The Red Sox game was on - sounds like you were too busy to see it - I caught parts of it but didn't miss any of the finale of 24 :-) Has the season started by you yet?

     
  • At 3:51 am, Blogger Mel in Dubai said…

    Oh no, Karen, not good! Sorry to hear about your beautiful stocking too. I hope it turns out okay!

     
  • At 5:14 am, Blogger Kim said…

    That's too bad! But it does sound like one of those "it could've been worse" scenarios. I'm glad nothing was seriously damaged and that you were able to save your project.

    Definately strange to hear about snow and ice when it's 90F outside today.

    Hope everything gets back to normal soon!

     
  • At 5:19 am, Blogger Crazee4books said…

    Hi Karen, Sorry to hear about the flood. I'll try not to make some sort of comment like "it never rains but it pours" 'cause that would be a terrible pun worthy of my husband.
    Your shop looks fabulous. Just came from my local LNS and ours just doesn't compare in stock to yours. Care to move to Canada?
    Best wishes: Judy

     
  • At 1:47 pm, Blogger Leonie said…

    You poor things!! Hopefully you will get everything sorted soon and can have some nice, quiet, uneventful time..............here's hoping for you!!

     
  • At 3:07 pm, Blogger Von said…

    Hi Karen,
    I'm catching up on some blog reading, enjoying all your lovely new shop pictures and that beautiful one of the storm coming in, then read about the damage to the shop - argh!! Glad everyone is working with you to get the situation repaired and that your stocking can be fixed.

     
  • At 8:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, no! How unlucky...although as you say, it could have been worse! I'm glad your lovely stocking isn't ruined after all.

     
  • At 10:07 pm, Blogger Wendy said…

    What a nightmare to happen! I'm so relieved that you are able to get most of the damage out of your finished stocking. I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

    I'm new to your blog and I loved reading your posts and looking at your wonderful pictures!

     
  • At 12:18 am, Blogger Shelleen said…

    I am glad that the water didn' do alot of damage. I hope that the stocking will be ok.

     
  • At 10:36 pm, Blogger Nia said…

    Hi Kaz

    Sorry to hear about the flood :( I hope you manage to get all the bleeding bits out of Bren's stocking.....where will Santa put all those goodies otherwise?

    I am glad that there wasn't too much damage though - sheesh you always have so much on your plates the two of you....I hope life settles down soon.

    T
    x

     
  • At 5:56 pm, Blogger Anne S said…

    So sorry to hear about the rain damage in the shop ... but glad to hear Bren's stocking survived the experience :) Hope everything is getting fixed up and back to normal by now :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Karen's Blog
Home: Leura, New South Wales, Australia
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
My Time and Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Carol's Time and Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Links
Template By
Isnaini Dot Com