Friday, June 30, 2006
To A Possum's Rescue
Well what an interesting night. Bren and I decided to have a low key dinner and just makes ourselves some toasted sandwiches for dinner. When we went to make them we realised that we left the fresh loaf of bread at the shop. As the shop is only minutes away we jumped in the car and went to go get it. On the way, around the corner from home, I noticed a little brush tailed possum on the side of the road. I told Bren to drive the car back and I would make sure he ran off into the bush so that he wouldn't get hit by a car. I got out of the car but the poor little thing didn't run off. He just looked at me dazed. I was so upset as I realised he was already hurt. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't just leave him there to die so I called WIRES (A Wildlife Rescue Service). They asked us to stay with the possum and said they were sending someone out to get him. About 20 minutes later a lady ranger arrived and we got the poor little thing into a cage. While we had been waiting, the possum came to life a bit and walked about a metre down the hill, but then stopped and tucked into a ball again. The ranger said he looked like he would be ok. She guessed that he was concussed and would take him home and look after him. If he was ok the next day she would bring him back and release him close to where we found him. If he was more seriously injured she would take him to their "possum doctor" the next day. Either way, she was grateful to us for calling WIRES. I was so relieved. I would never forgiven myself if we had done nothing and then drove past tomorrow and the poor little thing was dead on the side of the road. Not quite as exciting as your bear Carol, but a wildlife story with a happy ending nonetheless. VBG.

I had a great day off on Wednesday. I lucked out with a Red Sox game on ESPN... finally. It was the Red Sox vs Mets with the Red Sox winning 9-4. Yayyy!!!!! We get so few baseball games broadcast down here and when I do find one, it is rarely the Red Sox, so it was a good day:)




posted by Karen's Blog @ 9:23 pm  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:31 pm, Blogger Carol said…

    Aw Karen, you and Bren and THE BEST!!! Thank you for saving the possum! And, you even got a picture of him!! Don't you just wish you could adopt him? This is way more exciting than my bear, honestly!!!! Yay Red Sox - can you even believe we just won 12 straight - especially with our pitchers basically dropping like flies!!! This is not a popular statement amongst some bloggers, but this remains proof positive that the American League is just that much stronger than the National League again this year...

     
  • At 11:46 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ah that was a kind thing to do, not everyone would have done it. He's a little cutie.

     
  • At 2:29 pm, Blogger Nia said…

    That little possum was so lucky that you went to his aid :)

    WIRES is such a great organisation - I like to send them a donation when I can.

    Hope you finally enjoyed your toasties :)

     
  • At 2:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww, poor little thing! He was lucky you found him - I hope he's OK.

     
  • At 4:56 pm, Blogger Carol said…

    Oh my - your blog is really quite desperate for stitching updates :-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Karen's Blog
Home: Leura, New South Wales, Australia
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
My Time and Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Carol's Time and Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Links
Template By
Isnaini Dot Com