Thursday, March 02, 2006
Shop Break in


Well today wasn't exactly the day I thought it would be. It was meant to be my day off but when Bren got into the shop he found we had had a break in overnight. The shop was a huge mess. I went straight in and couldn't believe my eyes. The whole place had been turned upside down. We didn't know what had been stolen right away as we had to wait for the police to arrive before we could start cleaning up and assessing the damage.

When the police arrived they said 8 businesses had been robbed in Katoomba last night and apparently there has been a spate of robberies in general in the last 6 weeks or so. Once they left we began the big clean up. It didn't take as long as we thought. The way it looked we thought it would probably take at least 2 days to fix everything up but we managed to do it by the end of the day. The good news is that not much was taken. It looks like they were looking for money, which there was none, and threw everything everywhere, probably trying to see if we had a safe (we didn't). They smashed our scanner but left our computer. They also stole some of Bren's lovely jewellery pieces he had made recently and some charts were damaged when they were thrown on the floor, but apart from that and the lock on the front door they had destroyed, everything else is fine and our shop will re-open in the morning. This has just made me want to relocate our shop even more. It really has been a trying (and exhausting) day, but we are both trying to look on the bright side and that is that basically, everything is now ok. We had the locks replaced and just hope that this is the end of it.

So, as I didn't have my day off today, Bren has told me to have tomorrow off. He's such a sweetie:)So hopefully I will get to work on Chatelaine's Mystery IX part 3 in the morning:)





posted by Karen's Blog @ 10:04 pm  
18 Comments:
  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger Kiwi Jo said…

    Oh no, I'm so sorry this happened to you :(

     
  • At 12:05 am, Blogger Anne S said…

    Oh no, Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your break-in - that's appalling! My heart breaks to think what you guys are going through right now ... fingers crossed your new place comes through OK and you can move out ASAP!

     
  • At 12:14 am, Blogger Shelleen said…

    I am so sorry that this happened. You have had enough on your plate as it is.

     
  • At 12:52 am, Blogger Carol said…

    Oh my gosh Karen! That is terrible!! It looks like the miscreants really did a number of trashing your shop!!!!! I am so relieved they did not get much, but it does still feel like a violation :-( Love you! Just glad you two were not there and hurt by these fools!

     
  • At 12:54 am, Blogger Carol said…

    Oh, and yes... Bren is a sweetie! Please give him a big hug for me!!

     
  • At 4:21 am, Blogger Kim said…

    That's just terrible! What is wrong with some people? I'm just glad that they didn't do much damage or make off with much. They must have been quite disappointed to only find cross stitch stuff. ;) I guess you could have a chuckle and say "well, at least it wasn't someone desperate for stash" :)

    Take care and enjoy your belated day off.

     
  • At 4:58 am, Blogger Judith said…

    Sorry to hear this news.
    Bren s a sweatie to give you a day off tomorrow.

     
  • At 6:24 am, Blogger Kerry said…

    Karen, that's so awful. I just don't understand how some people's minds can possibly work. I'm glad not much was taken and you got it fixed up in a day, but you shouldn't have had it happen at all. Hugs from across the Tasman.

     
  • At 6:50 am, Blogger Nicki said…

    Karen, how awful. I'm so sorry to see this happen. All that beautiful stuff everywhere. I'm glad not much was taken and really, really hope the consent for the new shop comes through fast. Have a lovely day off today!

     
  • At 8:04 am, Blogger Carina said…

    Karen, I am so sorry that this happened, but I am thankful that at least they mostly just made a mess of your lovely shop as opposed to taking a lot of inventory. And Katoomba seemed liked such a sweet, unassuming town to this Los Angeles girl! Now I am really hoping that the cottage comes through for you guys by the time I am back in Sydney.

     
  • At 8:50 am, Blogger cathymk said…

    So sorry to hear this Karen, I hope the clean up wasn't too ardous.
    Here's hoping for good news from the local council.

     
  • At 9:03 am, Blogger Leslie aka zoeandcooper said…

    I am so sorry to hear about the break in. I am glad to hear that you are alright.

     
  • At 2:54 pm, Blogger Pam @ Heart2Heart said…

    Oh no! What a horrible thing to have happen. Glad to hear that not much was taken and minimal damage. Still, how disturbing for you both. Here's hoping they will find out who did it. Enjoy your day off and stitching Karen, you deserve it!

     
  • At 3:15 pm, Blogger Von said…

    My heart just dropped the second your pics popped up on the screen! This is dreadful and I hope you'll be safe and snug in your new location. More hopes that all the red tape will be sliced clear through!!

     
  • At 3:18 pm, Blogger Leonie said…

    Oh no Karen-just awful!! I'm glad it wasn't worse though........Have a good relaxing claming day off!

     
  • At 5:20 pm, Blogger Nia said…

    Karen and Bren - was so horrified ot read your latest news!!! How aful for you both. I'm glad that there was not too much taken and that you are both safe.

    Take care - love and hugs
    Tannia

     
  • At 9:05 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm so sorry this happened to you both, at least neither of you were hurt.
    I hope these people are caught.
    Enjoy your day off with some stitching.
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 5:09 am, Blogger Mel in Dubai said…

    Sheesh, what scumbags! Sorry this had to happen to you, Karen and Bren :( Glad nothing much was taken and that you are both safe. I have my fingers crossed that the cottage will come through!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Karen's Blog
Home: Leura, New South Wales, Australia
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
My Time and Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Carol's Time and Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Links
Template By
Isnaini Dot Com